December 11, 2011

Homemade Chocolate Truffles

The perfect chocolaty treat for the holidays!
Homemade chocolate truffles
Here is the recipe:
Ingredients:
2 1/2 packages (20 squares) Bakers semi-sweet chocolate
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
Decorations:  chopped peanuts, colored sugar sprinkles, cocoa powder

Directions: 
Melt 8 chocolate squares in pot on stove top (or microwave).  Beat cream cheese with mixer until creamy.  Blend in melted chocolate.  Refrigerate until firm.
Shape into small balls.  Place on waxed paper covered baking sheet.
Melt remaining chocolate squares.  Use a fork to dip truffles; return to baking sheet.  Decorate, then refrigerate for 1 hour. 
dipping the formed truffles into the melted chocolate
This is a recipe that I have had in my recipe box for years but have never had the gumption to try.  This year I went for it and although they have been a hit, I don't know if I'll do it again.
Here's the thing...it states that it'll make 36 balls.  I followed the directions to a T and I guess I made mine too big (slightly smaller than a golf ball each) because I only got about 20.  My main problem was the shaping of the truffles, because no one wants to eat a home made gift that looks like a hot mess.  So, this took awhile to get the shape correct without melting the chocolate truffles in my hands during the process.  It got messy!  Also, the directions say to use a fork when dipping the truffles in the melted chocolate.  It really was not functional to work this way because the truffle's chocolate on the outside was getting damaged.  So, instead I used appetizer spears and anchored them in styrofoam. 


But when all was done, they looked and tasted great.

I put the truffles in holiday tins from the dollar store and used some tissue paper and a little sticker note from scrap booking material for the inside to add to the presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...